Wednesday, April 16, 2008

#2228-To Wolfgang,Prince in Anhalt

To the illustrious, high-born Prince and Lord, Herr Wolfgang,Prince in Anhalt,Graf in Ascanien and Lord in Bernburg, m.g.(my gracious) Lord.
Grace and peace in Christ. Illustrious,high-born Prince, gracous Lord! For a long time I wanted to write to EFG and would orally speak with on behalf of EFG's preacher Mr Johan Schlainhauffen in Koethen, but I always forget since with the many projects I have become old, lazy and completely forgetful. And this is the matter. I have discerned from him that as the air in Koethen is very difficult for him but since he has in EFG such a gracious, good Lord he, also my be, was persuaded to remain there until now although it would be healthier for his body in a more bearable air; since he was born and dwelt in fresher air. Now finally I have talked with him, though not wanting to tell him what to do, about that though he cannot well be in Koethen that also he not be out of the sovereignty of Anhalt but that since Worlitz is now vacant that he let himself be placed there as there is likely fresher air in the woods; since I do not want him to be completely out of the sovereignty. He has also answered that he would gladly give it a try especially since it is near Wittenberg. This is my humble petition to EFG that he gracously give helpful advice so that the good man and also the need of his body (which has gone on for years) be care for as is right according to God's command. Request of EFG a gracous answer.Herewith be commended to God,Amen. On Palmday (9 April) 1536.EFG's willing Mart.Luther,D.

No comments: