Monday, December 31, 2007

#2183-To Justus Jonas

Grace and peace in the LOrd! So that I am not forced myself, my dear Jonas, to see that everything is written accurately I am sending to you, as advised by my sloth, the written matter itself which you will send back to me. The Augsburg messenger had gone just before your letter arrived. I will send it to Leipzig etc.when I can.

As to the robbers(see #2181) the matter is as follows. As he (the messenger) left Magdeburg and after he was about three miles into the bishop's region near Andersleben he fell among the robbers who after the Mass at Magdeburg had laid an ambush. They held "the deadly thing" under his nose and forced him to give up his horse and also the draught animal which the Augsburgers were sending as a present to Duke Ernst and after taking his trip money of 13 Gulden tied him to a tree and after they received his sworn acceptance that he would not make any outcry or complaint for three hours they went away. So he was abandoned in the woods for two hours long beset by the wild animals; finally after twisting and turning the bindings he got loose and came on foot to certain commander of a fortress. He sent him to the Prince who provided him with clothing and travel money and also sent a horse along. Once more these robbers ventured alot. I am sending to you also the report of the wedding ostentation of the Polish bride. Besides that there is nothing I can write. Schnepf will by his letter bring you to the attention of your blacksmith (fabrum).However, that faithless Jew for whom we procured 10 Gulden is carrying this out. Phillippus in his letter describes him as very bad. Magister Sehusen was buried yesterday; the pest ravished him and he has followed his wife. My driver has put the whole house in fright but as one pondered the matter he is immediately better; he was afflicted by a light fever. Otherwise everything is well and they are pure although likely not all; yet one swallow does not make a summer. My lord Kaethe greets you and yours. She is making an evening meal because it is the evening of my completing 23 years of my doctorate and I am beginning the 24th. Christ grant that this year I may go into heaven,Amen. Anno 1532 (1535). Your Martin Luther.
NOTE: Luther was promoted to the doctorate on 19 October 1512 so the M.D. X X X II. is a mistake and 1535 is correct. This is also corroborated to be 1535 by the previous letter on the robbery of the messenger.No going to heaven granted before 1546-eleven years hence. "Although not all" may be an allusion to Christ's words at the Last Supper referring to Judas. Or not?

No comments: