Monday, November 12, 2007

#2161-To Justus Jonas

Grace and peace in Christ! In reference to the marriage-case, my dear Jonas,I throw back the judgment to you and the Jurists because you know that in these matters I do not wish to be the judge on account of the Jurists wherever they can want to mock us and the peasants are not thankful for the Gospel when they have the freedom from the canonical sovreignty.
The letter of the Prince to Philippus I have read with not a very happy heart because I know that Philippus through such a severe letter will be very disturbed. And I am thinking various things; would to God that I might not think them. More at another time because I am rather sad. Pommer has happily returned and received by all of us. Greet wife and children. Johann Luther will answer your Jonas as soon as possible. Be it well with you in the LOrd and pray for me. Friday after Bartholomew (27 August) 1535. Your Martin Luther.
nOTE: Melanchton is denied permission to travel to meet with the King of France.

No comments: