Saturday, April 14, 2007

#2082-To Nicholas Hausmann in Dessau

To the worthy man, Herr Master Nicolaus Hausmann, Bishop of the Church in Dessau, his very dear brother.
Grace and peace! A great strife, my dear Hausmann, has arisen between the nobleman in Resen and his pastor. And it seems the pastor is not moderate enough to deal with his wife (Herrin) mainly since she was formerly very weak with words,at least, if not to say they were completely foreign to her; that was just recently taken for granted. You see to it that this offense is taken up with your Prince as far as it can be done.
The Master Franz I have ordered to clarify what I have neglected and dreamed about namely that I had promised a future god-fathership but I do not know to whom. I now want to know this as the confinement is drawing near so that I do not become a breaker of my word. Deal with this as much as you can. Be it well with you in Christ and pray for me. 1534 the 14th of October. Your Martin Luther,D.

NOTE: Not sure about the phrase:"das erst kuerzlich angenommen worden ist", which I have translated:"that was recently taken for granted." Kaethe gives birth to Margaretha on Dec.17.

No comments: