Wednesday, January 24, 2007

#2040-To one of the Nobility

(The Editiors think that the Nobleman is highly likely Johann von Riedtesel who was godfather of ML's son Martin. The "Doctor Martin" in the last paragraph is little Martin. "D.B." could well be Chancellor D. Christian Beier. "L" is perhaps Landgrafen. "C"= Elector. The son is the student John. The doctor is D. Augustin Schurf.)

Grace and peace in Christ. Valiant, steadfast, dear Herr and Godfather! I have, according to your desire, earnestly and entirely spoken with D.B. about your case. Thereupon he very faithfully advised that I with you keep silent for a while holding back any incitement as we might make it worse. It is yet too soon at the court and your false friends (as I call them) are just new in the regime and there yet have to acquire much wisdom and righteousness as all young regents need to do. The boil is not yet ripe and is too hard and red. With Herr H. I would also be glad to speak but because of his activities I was able able to accomplish it. My gracious lord I did not think it appropriate (as said), according to the advice of D.B., to not involve so as to spare you. Therfore, I plead that, according to advice of D.B., you would yet forgive a little; when my gracious lord comes again I will attempt to speak with Herr H. and thereafter look to how I might approach the man himself.

To approach L. as it now stands would please me except that the part which I have underscored would rather leave out and make it so that my thoughts are made so as that L. does not think as sought and requested by you and perhaps learned from you his former servant and so that he does not by writing but rather speaks orally with C. and the cause find disfavor etc. Or if it is done in writing that it gives no appearance as being done by you but that it is learned from the story going around that there has been no recompense given to you for which you have the seal and letters.Thus I am concerned that if it is written from the Chancery, without petition from L.that it might enrage the gad-flies and bees to persuade the pious prince against you.

On the other matter over which you have concern, namely, about the person in Zoppen, blessed etc., I think, as much as I can from D.B., that you should have no suspicion. As I see it is , as it were, that one wants to be deserving of the gray cloak and prove to be artful as if all previous administrations did nothing and were actually harmful. We are the ones who can advise and help the Prince whereas the others were corrupt etc. Novus rex, nova lex etc. (new king, new laws).And if can again refer to the advice of D.B, so I also think that you should let it smoke awhile so that after it smokes it will smoke itself out.

Your son is holding up fine, he just had the measles and we were ready for them according the advice of D. Augustin; he is now again healthy. My most gracious woman, the Markgraf, is from time to time sick and then again well. Your C.F.G. speaks of you very much honoring and praising you which I am very glad to hear; with you and yours I am ready to comply. Herwith be commended to God. My lord Kaethe would like to greet you and together with your dear one and fruit as does Doctor Martin also. On the Saturday after Oculi (March 14) 1534. Martinus Luther,D.

No comments: