Friday, August 25, 2006

#1974-To the Council in Torgau

To the honorable and wise mayor and council in Torgau,my favored lords and good friends.
Grace and peace in Christ. Honorable,wise,dear lords and good friends! M.Johann Dachau,a child of your city,has requested me to do this writing and indicates that you might be inclined to extend longer the stipend which he previously received so he wanted this to be recommended by me. Since it is my understanding that there is no wrong alleged and no other hindrance and it had been ordered to extend over several years it would be well to extend the time so that he may improve his studies and complete them especially since there is nothing against it on your part and you are so inclined.I request therefore that my recommendation, his hope, and your consolation will be satisfactory. Herewith be commended to the dear God. I have had this written by another hand due to my head and hope you will take it in the best way. Dated at Wittenberg on the 6th of May 1533. D.Martinus Luther.
Note: Only the signature is in ML's handwriting.

No comments: