Wednesday, May 10, 2006

#1904-To the Council at Soest

(Since they use the title "Superintendent" for the preaching office I am thinking that this is the Soest of the Netherlands rather than the Saxon Soest but I'm not positive.)

To the honorable and wise Mayor and Council of the city of Soest. my favored friends.Grace and peace through our LOrd Jesus Christ.As you have demonstrated such earnestness that your church should be constituted well and in a Christian way and therein, praise God,I am also glad to be of service and have special joy that you have so eagerly taken up this matter; our LOrd Christ will grant grace thereto. And I have dealt with your desire that Herr Johann de Brun should be sent to you snd commended to exercise the preaching-office or superintency among you. I respect this Johann as especially able for such office on account of his honorable living and conduct and in addition his doctrine; above others he is learned and experienced in Christian matters
and has also preached and governed the church and strongly striven against unrighteous teaching and rebellious sects like the Anabaptists and the like who despise the Sacrament and slander authority and regimentation; in that regard I hope your church will,by God's grace, through him be well-constitued and cared for; also that he will vigorously pursue peace and unity and be on guard that unChristian doctrine not be introduced as he knows that the preacher is to do everything to be responsible for that; I have earnestly admonished him about that. I also want to plead with you that you support him kindly and faithfully care for and protect him. I see that our poor preachers in many places are treated in an unkind and evil way; on that account many able people are fleeing the office. Consider that the preacher has a high and difficult office which we, to the praise of God and our salvation, are to support and deal with responsibly. Therefore I want to trustingly commend this pious man, Johann de Brun.
I also hear that there is by you one name Campensis who stirs up much unrest. I can reliably report that the same Campensis in Brunswig was evil in living and teaching;therfore be warned that the mentioned Campensis does not establish sects and rebellion in your city. God defend you graciously and grant you His grace and peace.Dated at Wittenberg on the Monday after Vitus (17 June) anno 1532. Doctor Martinus Luther.
de Brun, whom you have requested to be sent to you.

No comments: