Saturday, March 10, 2007

#2062-To Joachim, Prince in Anhalt

To the illustrious, high-born Prince and Lord, Herr Joachim, Prince in Anhalt,Graf in Ascanien and Lord in Bernburg, my gracious Lord.
G.u.F. (grace and peace) in Christ. Gracious Prince and Lord! Mr. Johann Beichling has brought me a very good message about E.F.G. liking to eat good things. Truly I have presently and previously at all times also said and prayed (as m.g.Herr, the Worthy-Probst): Ach, God, let my Prince be healthy and happy; I hope it will be done. After first I have given my lord printer something to eat so that he lets me rest I want to bring Pommer (Bugenhagen) with me to the Pomeranians and Hamester (?) so m.g. Frau may see how Pommer and the Pomeranians are honorably and happily looked upon. Herewith, be commended to God,Amen. And may E.F.G. be happy. My pater noster (Our Father) and I also are with E.F.G. Yet, I must express that E.F.G. take care with M.Franciscus in chess; he thinks he can play very well and I would give him a beautiful rose if can do as well as he thinks. He knows how to position the knight, move the Rook, and the Pawns to gekeln (?)but the Frau (queen?) is his master in the game, and to be sure, in much more. That he well understands, Amen. XII June 1534. E.F.G.'s willing Martinus Luther,D.
NOTES: Can't translate Hamester and gekeln. Perhaps the former has to do with the people around Hamburg where Bugenhagen served and Pommer means a Pomeranian. Perhaps 'gekel' the pawn means to castle??

No comments: