Monday, June 26, 2006

#1926-To Andreas Osiander

Grace and peace in Christ! My dear Andreas: Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito (Boldly confront the evil which stands against you.) So I answer, though I am sick, the letter in which indicates that you are sick and tired of the Ninevites whom also I (would to God that Christ does not also) regard with disgust. However, the day has twelve hours and our eyes cannot see the future. God is testing us in this way. Yet if everything turns out to be evil, this condition cannot last more than three years. Everything is headed to the point that there has to be change either to the worse or for the better for this state of affairs. If it is for the worse then nothing can be gained by fleeing;if it is for the better everything will be made better by staying. I see, in fact, if there is peace, learned men will be precious and as Isaiah says Chapter 13:12:
"more precious than gold". Daily preachers are being sougt but there are none at hand. Also if the Ninevites don't want you and it is necessary that you be called away let them not think that they will instead you find someonewho comes within a little finger close to you.
O socii,--
O passi graviora; dabit Deus his quoque finem.
Durate, et vosmet rebus serveat secundis.
"O colleague,--severely you have suffered, God will soon make an end to this. Only take heart and hold on for a happier time.""It cannot last long." The evil customs will bring about good laws. "It is a transition, says the fox,
the bird must molt and thus get again beautiful feathers."
Take this up as from me as written in an upright and faithful outlook because I also have been troubled by your thoughts and then again comforted as I have comforted you. Greet all of ours. More I do not want to write nor can I so bad is it with my head illness. Christ be with you and all of yours, my brother in Christ, and pray for me. Should I live or die, may the preaching office be commended to you. On the Thursday after Lambertus (19 Sept.) 1532. Your Martin Luther.
NOTES: Osiander not only may have trouble at Nuernberg but soon will have trouble with someone at Wittenberg.Both the Latin quotes are from Virgil.Aen. VI and I respectively.

No comments: