Friday, May 05, 2006

#1898-ML to Spalatin written by Bugenhagen

To the, in Christ, highly-honorable man and lord, Magister Georg Spalatin, the very worthy Bishop of the church in Altenburd, his Lord and beloved brother.
Grace and peace of God the Father and our LOrd Jesus Christ forever! I wish you happiness, dearest Spalatin, in your return in Christ and wish with the brethren, as you have often intended, that you give over the money of the LOrd to usury. We perceive that it is not without fruit that you have sown the Word of Christ there; thanks to Christ who gives everything richly and more than we can hope or think. Meanwhile I am on vacation since God has willed it. That it should be His good pleasure and give good health again to me and assist me so that I may accomplish that which is to the salvation of His church you may also pray for. My lord (dominus mea) Kaethe greets you and Phiipp and I, the third, Pommer, who writes this letter. With my (Pommer's) Luebeckers Christ has through my service brought about everything which you would be glad to hear about our Gospel. The LOrd be with you and your wife and your long longed for descendants and with your household forever. From Wittenberg,1532, on Pentecost Monday
(20 May). Your Martin Luther.
NOTE: Looks like Spalatin was preaching at the Convent of Schweinfurt and well remunerated.

No comments: