Tuesday, May 02, 2006

#1893-To Markgraf Joachim II of Brandenburg

To the illustrious, high-born Prince and Lord, Herr Joachim,Markgraf in Brandenburg,in Stettin,Pomerania,Duke of the Cassuben and Wends, Burggraf in Nuernberg,and Prince in Riga, my gracious Lord.
Peace and Grace in Christ. Illustrious, high-born Prince,gracious Lord! I have received the Credence of E.F.G. through Carlos; thereupon I have indicated to him my good thoughts to report to E.F.G.However about the Sacrament under one form I have said to him that if E.F.G. is conscience-minded and certain that it is God's command and ordinance it is not fitting or to be suffered that one partake of the Sacrament under one form being knowingly acting contrary to the command of God.
It is just as much against God knowingly against His ordinance to partake under one form as it would be knowingly to rob, murder and commit other sins as E.F.G. might well have been thinking for himself. So now it is better to entirely refrain from the Sacrament and (if it cannot be otherwise) and to be out of sorts, sick,or otherwise infirm than to act against conscience. Herewith be commended to God,Amen. On the Tuesday after George (30 April) Anno 1532. E.F.G.'s willing Martinus Luther,D.
NOTES: J promised his father Joachim I that he would never permit the Evangelical way
in the territories or convert to it but he did so after Joachim I died. J.II would become Elector in 1535. This family has close ties with the Saxon rulers. Some very nice paintings of J.II by Lucas Cranach that I am trying put in the blog.
I think there are reports that J.II communed in both ways from time to time.

No comments: