Sunday, April 01, 2007

#2076-To his wife (Hausfrau)

(Editor say this a confidential letter of ML who is probably at the court in Dessau)

My friendly,dear Lord,Frau Catherin von Bora, D.Lutherin in Wittenberg.
G.u.(grace and) peace in Christ. Dear Lord Kaethe! I know of nothing to write to you since and Philipp and others are coming home. I must stay longer for the sake of the pious Prince. You might think how long I will be here or how you might release me. I think that M.Franciscus might relieve me as I have relieved him though it might not be so soon. Yesterday I had a bad draught: so I must sing: As I drink not well I am sorry and rightly so; and think what good wine and beer I have at home and, in addition, a fine wife or (should I say) Lord. And you would do well if you could send over here the cellar full of wine and a flask ((Pfloschen) of your beer as soon as you can. Perhaps I do not come again before the new beer. Herewith be commended to God together with our young ones and all relations, Amen. Wednesday after James (29 July). Your loving Mart. LutheR,D.

No comments: