Monday, March 21, 2005

#1731-To Veit Dietrich in Nuernberg

To the worthy young man, Master (of Arts?), Veit Dietrich of Nuernberg,his brother in the LOrd.
Grace and peace in Christ! Already I have received three letters from you, my dear Veit, and I say thank you for your diligence and faithfulness in relating all these things to me. In response we have no news since you know everything for certain about the overflowing of the Tiber.
Over your matter I cannot give advice since I am absent and have no insight on the relationships.It is best if you follow the counsel of the there present friends who have everthing before the eyes and understand counseling. The messenger is in a hurry so I cannot write anything detailed; I have not been able to write to our host in Coburg yet nor to anyone else.I have stepped in in Pommer's absence, I preach, I read,I have taken up manifold matters, I am occupied with letter writing and I cannot now write more. You will greet everyone in my name. I must steal the time with force and cunning if I am do something beyond the current activities.My head is dizzy and at times quite strong so especially in the morning hours. Otherwise, thank God, we are all well. All the colleagues greet you and my Lord Kaethe (she has expressly told me to do this) so that you do not believe that she is angry with you. More details at another time. Wittenberg on the Sunday after Martin [13 Nov.] 1530. Martin Luther.
NOTES: ML has just completed his 47th year (Nov.10) and 47th Anniversary of his baptism, St. Martin's Day (Nov.11). Erlangen is mistaken, according to Editor, in saying it was a Sunday for Nov.11 fell on a Friday in 1530.

No comments: